The Peel Regional Labour Council opposes the Coup in Sudan.
The following resolution was passed at our November 2021 GMM.
Whereas, on Oct. 25 the military under Gen Abdel Fattah Burhan dissolved the transitional government of Sudan, arrested Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok and declared martial law.
Therefore, be it resolved the Peel Regional Labour Council will:
- Condemn in the strongest possible terms the coup in Sudan & the actions of the Sudanese military;
- Support strike action by health, airline, bank, education, oil & other workers resisting the coup;
Be it further resolved that Peel Regional Labour Council call on Canada to take the following steps:
- Cease all military and diplomatic cooperation with the Sudanese military, including Rapid Support Forces, until the Sudanese state is fully sovereign and free to make economic, political and security decisions without military influence;
- Support the right of workers to form trade unions and engage in strike action, as fundamental to a free society;
- Oppose any western military intervention and instead call on the IMF, national governments, & commercial banks to cancel Sudan’s national debts which fuel the economic crisis.